It's A Very, Very Angry World, Indeed - UPDATED
Historical Marker for
Kent State, Ohio Massacre - May 4, 1970
On Neil Young's latest album "Le Noise", the song "Angry World" attempts to capture some of the rage that is coursing through the veins of the body politic today.
Some see life as an endless fight.
They think we live in the Age of Darkness.
They think we live in the Age of Light.
It’s an angry world and everything is going to be all right.
Yeah it’s an angry world.
In one of the more remarkable editorials we've seen in awhile, in today's Washington Post, columnist Richard Cohen writes about conservatives and hate.
While nothing too new there, Cohen uses Neil Young's song "Ohio" to illustrate his points. The editorial needs to be read in full to appreciate Cohen's thesis and how the 1970's rage of "Ohio" mirrors today's unhinged Tea Party hate.
[The lyrics of "Young's "Ohio"] was the language of that time.
And now it is the language of our time. It is the language of Glenn Beck, who fetishizes about liberals and calls Barack Obama a racist. It is the language of rage that fuels too much of the Tea Party and is the sum total of gubernatorial hopeful Carl Paladino's campaign message in New York. It is all this talk about "taking back America" (from whom?) and this inchoate fury at immigrants and, of course, this raw anger at Muslims, stoked by politicians such as Newt Gingrich and Rick Lazio, the latter having lost the GOP primary to Paladino for, among other things, not being sufficiently angry. "I'm going to take them out," Paladino vowed at a Tea Party rally in Ithaca, N.Y.
I hear "Ohio" more clearly now than I ever did.
It is a distant sound from our not-so-distant past, but a clear warning about our future. Four dead in Ohio. Not just a song. A lesson.
And -- predictably so -- when you read the 100's of comments in reaction it only goes to support Cohen's argument. In comment after comment, anger and venom spew forth from the frightened ultra-radical conservative movement. It's truly a scary spectacle as they drive themselves over the cliff.
So go read Cohen's editorial in the Washington Post.
More on Video of Neil Young's "Angry World" from Le Noise and lyrics.
Also, see Lyrics Analysis of Neil Young's "Ohio".
"How can YOU run when you know?"
UPDATE: Huge blogosphere reaction to editorial. See:
- The Worst Column of the Year: Congratulations Richard Cohen! - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine
- DownWithTyranny!: Richard Cohen gets it seriously right about right-wing hate speech
- Richard Cohen: Conservative Words Will Kill People | The FOX Nation (see comments)
- Mad Lib of the Day: Richard "Scarecrow" Cohen - Tea Party Speech Causes Things Like Kent State, Dead Presidents : Useful Info Nation Blog
- Tea Party rhetoric to blame for 1970 Kent State shooting, says Richard Cohen - Spokane conservative | Examiner.com
- Richard Cohen blames Tea Party for Kent State shootings - Sean Hannity Discussion
- Richard Cohen: ‘I Have to Repress a Tear’ : The Other McCain
- WaPo’s Richard Cohen gets nostalgic … [Darleen Click]
- Richard Cohen Morphs in Charles Johnson - jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com
- five feet of fury. (unions are for losers.)
- Ed Driscoll » This Autumn I Hear the Drumming, More Brain-Dead in Old WaPo
- WWW.STARGTH.INFO (A): Richard Cohen attack on tea party
- Aging Columnist on a Bike Sees Dead People at Tea Parties | The Lonely Conservative
- The Mahablog » Richard Cohen’s Flashbacks
- Left Coast Rebel: Richard Cohen, Another Who Just Doesn't Get It
- Mad Lib OTD: Richard "Scarecrow" Cohen - Tea Party Speech Causes Death & Destruction
- Richard Cohen: The ignorant are defining Obama (Wizbang)