Comment of the Moment: 2011 Bridge School Concert Highlights
Bridge School Benefit Concert - 10/22/2011
Photo by Nan Philpot
The memories of Bridge School weekend are still fresh one week later.
Here's the Comment of the Moment on the 2011 Bridge School Concert Highlights on YouTube by mike d:
This was my 19th Bridge School concert.
They just keep getting better. Kudos to the Shoreline for an outstanding sound system, much improved over the years! I thought it would be hard to match last years concert but they managed to meet that standard.
Here are some of my take aways from the Saturday show:
- Little Willies were a good show starter. Not great but very good.
- Beck was outstanding and his version of Pocohontas was spot on. It didn't hurt that Neil joined in.
- Santana, et.al were great! They started slow with jazzy numbers and ended with a flourish! Very well received by the audience.
- Mumford and sons were the only thing that could match the energy of Santana. They were fresh and appeared to be thrilled to be on the same stage as all these great entertainers. They may very well have been the best of show!
- Dave Mathews was subdued and concerned about following Munford. His set was stripped down with Tim Reynolds. A very good performance. The Oh! Susanna version with Neil gets better every time I hear it. I was caught off guard by the song at the concert. Neil and Dave have a special bond in duets.
- Eddie Vedder was the surprise of the show for me. This was his 10th time there but I never was as impressed in past performances (except last year with PJ) as this one. His musicianship is very much improved.
- Arcade Fire was spiritual for me. They were symphonic! Notes and voice coming from everywhere. I have their last album and like them, but in concert they soar! Loved the set!
- Neil likes to take backstage these days. He is content to show new talent and display old as well. His set is always good, but doesn't try to outshine his friends. Instead he joins them in a celebration for the kids. I LOVE NEIL YOUNG!
Finally, look at the faces of the kids. It's really their night. We just get to watch with them. I'm humbled by the effort to allow them to escape the bonds of their bodies. I am embarrassed by my selfishness in contrast. God bless them and thanks to those that are making a difference.
Thanks Mike! Nice comment of the memories of Bridge! See you next year hopefully!
"Get Together" - Pegi & Neil Young
More on videos, reviews at Bridge School Benefit Concert 2011 - Reports.
Official 2011 Bridge School Concert Highlights on YouTube
- "Oh! Susanna" - Dave Matthews & Neil Young - Bridge 2011 Concerts - October 23, 2011 - YouTube
- Carlos Santana and Neil Young Backstage @ 2011 Bridge School Benefit
- Highlights of Bridge School Benefit 2011: Foo Fighters Dedicate "My Hero" To Neil Young