CONTEST: Help Out NYAS and Win an Archives BluRay Box Set
Published by Neil Young Appreciation Society
Want to help out the Neil Young Appreciation Society? Want to win a Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 Bluray 10 disc box set?
OK, here's how and why...
As you may recall, last week we ran a special deal on NYA for Thrasher's Wheat readers via PopMarket.com!. And -- for you cynics out there -- we here at TW got absolutely nothin' from the deal and only did it to give our fellow Neil fans another chance at getting in on the NYA action.
Well, much to PopMarket.com!'s pleasant surprise, TW readers apparently went shoppin' in the free world. As a token of PopMarket's appreciation, they have bestowed TW a full Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 Bluray 10 disc box set, which lists for $349.99.
So now what are we going to do with another NYA boxset here at TW? Have his & hers/thrasher & thrashette editions of NYA? Build an addition to TW HQ?
After some discussion with our oh-so lovely and dear thrashette we decided that we would give back to the Neil community via NYAS and Broken Arrow Magazine.
In the last issue of Broken Arrow Magazine: May 2011, in the final article 'Last Dance', NYAS editor Scott Sandie and esteemed colleague (and pint consuming connoisseur) Guy Haslam issued a call for submissions to Broken Arrow from all Society membership.
So have a look at this article list below and use it as a prompt. Why not write that article that you’ve always thought about, either on one of these topics or anything else that you have in mind? Set yourself a target to write one, or at least have a go. At worst it won’t be published. At best you’ll see yourself in print in your own magazine. And earn a NYA boxset, to boot.
Drop editor Scott "Surfer Joe" Sandie an e-mail (email@example.com) to talk about it and make a proposal. They’re open to almost anything.
Act now. Seize the day. Your society needs you!
Possible article topics:
- The Bridge School Benefit – where to now?
- The Archives – Too little too late?
- The Trunk Show – where is it filed?
- Toast – have we been burned?
- LincVolt. Is Neil aware that the major motor manufacturers have their own versions?
- Neil Young – The Covers. A definitive listing and discussion of other people’s songs that Neil has covered. 1) on record, 2) live.
- Top 10 Hits (Er, Heart of Gold?!?)
- Crazy Horse – Too good to die?
- Where are they now? (Eg Niko Bolas, Susan Young, etc).
- NY Books out there – a broad overview.
- The BSB – Tales from the Road.
- Neil Young – His best song ever?
- My Top 10. Compare/contrast Top 10 Neil and Top 10 all others?
- Six Degrees of Separation: ????? to Neil Young.
- My Collection – a collector reminisces.
- A Life of Neil (it’s a good title, anyway!)
- The Guit-jo – A brief history and link to its use by NY.
- Most valuable Music Posters. A top 10/20 with description and values.
- Play ‘Em Like Neil (an old series we ran).
- Neil Young: My Part In His Downfall. (Another great title looking for an article).
- Neil Young: Cameo Film Appearances.
- Neil Young: Guest appearances on other people’s albums?
- Roots & Shoots: Neil Young’s references to other artists?
- The Rockets – Where Are They now? (sub-title: A Countdown to Failure).
- The Godfather of Grunge, or More of a Punk? Neil Young, Devo and Johnny Rotten.
- Native American Imagery in Neil Young songs.
- Neil Young – The Dogs (woof woof).
- “Old Kong” and “The White Falcon”.
- A re-appearance by these legendary commentators?
- Meet the Member – tell us a bit about yourself.
- Literary references: Neil Young mentioned in books.
- “Old” (or any other word) in Neil Young songs. A list?
- The Day I met Neil....
- Neil Young For Banjo. How to play, say, Old King?
- Rust Down Under: Neil in Oz? (or any other country)
deadline for article submissions has been extended indefinitely. So you have plenty of time to do your Neil research, polish it up, and send it in.
Neil Young Archives Vol. 1
This is the first volume of the Neil Young Archives series of box sets, produced by Neil Young himself. This series is the definitive, comprehensive, chronological survey of his entire body of work. Volume I covers the period from his earliest recordings with the Squires in Winnipeg, 1963, through to his classic 1972 album, Harvest and beyond, including studio and live tracks with the legendary Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, and Neil Young with Crazy Horse. This Blu Ray disc edition contains 10 discs, each in its own custom sleeve. 9 of these discs hold a total of 128 tracks (12 hidden), all presented in ultra high resolution 24-bit/192 Khz stereo PCM state-of-the-art master quality sound, and featuring nearly 60 previously unreleased songs, versions, mixes, or rare tracks.
More on Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About The Neil Young Archives But Were Afraid To Ask.
Don't be denied!