Randomly Blogged: My Morning Jacket, Beats Never Rust, Tom Wilkes
My Morning Jacket's Jim James
9:30 Club, Washington, DC - 2/1/04
Photo by Linda Park
From Paste on My Morning Jacket's Jim James and Neil Young:
"I used to lay on my bedroom floor in high school coming down from acid with my fingers stuck in a Dairy Queen ice cream cake with Life cereal poured into it like a real bowl of cereal and just cry my eyes out while listening to 'Tin Man' or 'Lonely People.' There was a phase in my life where I was exploring the more psychedelic side of life, and man, the nighttime would be filled with wild whipping metal music and pure-grain fruit punch and chaos and metal jaw-biting, spine-tingling mental confusion, and I remember so very clearly one morning laying in some shitty hotel room bed covered in applesauce, and the sun was starting to come up and I felt like I had just killed a baby seal...and I had lobsters crawling all over me and laying their eggs in my intestines...and somebody put on a mixtape that had 'Tin Man' and 'All the Lonely People' and then went into 'Harvest' by Neil Young and I remember all the lobsters stopped laying their eggs and they sat up and looked at me and I looked at them and we all went 'ahhhhhhh' and breathed a big sigh of relief...and crawled off the bed to lay on the floor next to the stereo to hear that pure, pure sound even purer in our ear holes...and that’s when I knew I dug the folk rock."
More on My Morning Jacket's Jim James and Neil Young.
- On Aug. 8 the Neil Young tribute band, Live Rust, will play at the Saltair Pub in Ladysmith, British Columbia, Canada takes the stage.
Roger Potter (who plays Neil) tells Ladysmith Chronicle:
“You can’t cover someone properly without a complete understanding of the feel, and Mr. Young is all about the feel of the music. We’re bringing this music to the people because there are songs Neil has written that are the soundtrack of our lives.
“You hear Cinnamon Girl or Heart Of Gold and you remember where and what you were doing when it was all over the air waves, and that brings a smile to many faces.”
- The NYTimes.com reflects on the 40th anniversary of the genesis of "Revolution Blues".
- Neil Young Vs. The Shins’ James Mercer on “Harvest” on Take Cover! .
- Curious about Neil going hip-hop? Beats Never Rust on MySpace will satisfy that curiosity.
- A rather strange Neil Young story involving Unknown Legend on Crawdaddy by Bob Hill.
- The last interview with artist Tom Wilkes, designer of Neil Young's album "Harvest" cover on Altsounds.com.
- Jeff Taylor's Neil Young Tribute will be performing at the Full Circle Annual Festival in Augusta, West Virginia on Saturday, August 8.
- NYA Contest on More Cowbell.
- Another of Neil's cars goes up for auction on eBay.com - Chrysler : Newport:eBay Motors (item 200368817705 end time Aug-10-09 12:00:00 PDT).
- NNC: Daily Kos: Of Birthers, Senators and Morons:
"The stupid is overwhelming. It's become a tidal wave of stupid. It's a giant Noah's Ark of stupid, in which two examples of every kind of dumbassery known to man have been loaded up to be set adrift on a sea of their own drool. It's the 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' gameshow of stupid -- loud, with big flashing lights, and on every goddamn day of the week."
Thanks for the links ny.org!